City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack
I have a 2017 Golf Alltrack. The other day I found substantial pools of water on both sides of the rear floor. No water anywhere else. Not rear cargo, not in front floor and no signs of wet or water staining on side pillars or anywhere around interior roof. It is as if someone poured a pint or two of water directly on the rear floor, both passenger and drivers side. Also, no sign of dampness around bottom of doors or seat... only water was directly in the floor where mats sit. I did have an issue back in 2017 with leaking water into drivers foot area but that was fixed by VW and no issue since. That was obvious because there was water staining on roof and front pillar. I was out of country for 2 weeks and we did have a few good rains but I've never had this before. Only other thing is I went to a car wash before I left and had an undercarriage wash. But I have done this many times as well. Very curious as to where it came from.

Reactions
Jack, have you posted this on another forum like vortex or Golf forum?
I replied to one of them talking about ALL the known areas of reported leaks. Sounds like your leak is through the rear door panel(s) water leaks through behind the woofers at bottom of door panel
due to speaker seal leaking. Look on youtube for videos on how to fix. I wouldn't suggest using car wash either I have no idea what a "undercarriage wash" is but if it's a high pressure wash that may also be
how water got in there. Are you "off-roading" a lot that you need to have the underside cleaned? There may be rubber/plastic plugs under there that allowed leaking? Please let us know what you find.

OP
J

Jack Track

Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack
Thread Starter #3
Jack, have you posted this on another forum like vortex or Golf forum?
I replied to one of them talking about ALL the known areas of reported leaks. Sounds like your leak is through the rear door panel(s) water leaks through behind the woofers at bottom of door panel
due to speaker seal leaking. Look on youtube for videos on how to fix. I wouldn't suggest using car wash either I have no idea what a "undercarriage wash" is but if it's a high pressure wash that may also be
how water got in there. Are you "off-roading" a lot that you need to have the underside cleaned? There may be rubber/plastic plugs under there that allowed leaking? Please let us know what you find.

Car has been in shop for 2 weeks now. As I mentioned, No water anywhere above the floorbed. Nothing near speakers or door panles etc. I was convinced it had something to do with the a.c. evaporator drain. This was just confirmed. They are also checking rear drains on pano roof but I know it is the evap only. They had to remove COMPLETE interior to dry carpet and padding. Alos had to replace airbag control module which is under front seat. It had gotten wet. So far over $3,000 and counting. Hope to have back on Monday.

Reactions
Weird, I don't understand the a.c. evap system on our cars but don't most cars have that system up front under dash next to firewall and any plugged drain line would cause front passenger area to become wet. I know when I run my AC and the car sits in garage there's usually a small puddle of water underneath front of car no where near the rear seat floor area. You said it was confermed about the drain can you elaborate?
Like where is the drain and where is it supposed to drain? Was it confermed the drain is plugged?
You state you're convinced it's that drain...ok. But have you sprayed water around the rear doors and windows to double check for leaks coming into car that way? Because I've watched few videos stating water leaks into rear floor area can come through door panel speaker, shouldn't be too hard to check. make sure interior of door panel area is dry lay some paper towels down under door panel close doors and spay water if paper towel gets wet you should see wet paper towel.

OP
J
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack
Thread Starter #5
As I said originally, no sign of water above the rear floor. That includes anywhere around or on door panels, speakers, etc.
Shop stated there was wetness under front carpeting, but I could not find any sign. Maybe when they removed carpet they could see signs. Only thing I could see was puddles in rear floor. Just picked up car and was confirmed that it was blocked evap drain, which also destroyed airbag controller under front seat. They removed interior and dried carpet and padding. Two and a half weeks in shop and $3,100 Hoping this is last of leaking in my Alltrack.

OP
J
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack
Thread Starter #6
Not sure how to avoid in the future but I would recommend that anyone with an Alltrack, should periodically check under car during periods of running AC to make sure it is draining properly under the vehicle.

Reactions
City
Bryans Road
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
I also have a 2017 Alltrack. I accidentally left a window down, before it poured rain. There was water on the back passenger floor mat, and below the passenger seat. Afterwards, I got an airbag error message, and my seatbelt warning kept chiming (even though the seatbelt was fastened). Is there a way to reset this?

OP
J
Reactions
City
Boston
State
MA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 Golf Alltrack
Thread Starter #8
The airbag module is under the front seat. If you had water on the rear passenger floor, there is a good chance that the module got wet. It cannot be reset. At least in my case, it has to be replaced to avoid any malfunction with the airbag. Mine was about $1500 for the module and labor to replace and re-code.

Reactions
City
Bryans Road
State
MD
Country
United States
What I Drive
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
The airbag module is under the front seat. If you had water on the rear passenger floor, there is a good chance that the module got wet. It cannot be reset. At least in my case, it has to be replaced to avoid any malfunction with the airbag. Mine was about $1500 for the module and labor to replace and re-code.
After an afternoon, parked in the hot sun, with the windows rolled down for ventilation, everything is good. No more error messages. It just needed to dry out.